Thursday, October 31, 2013

PLEIN AIR IN THE RAIN AT ARASTRADERO PRESERVE

For the past two years, I have painted plein air at Palo Alto's Arastradero Preserve during the change of seasons.  On Tuesday, October 29th, I meet up with the Peninsula Outdoor Painters Group who had arrived an ahead of me.  Dark clouds hung over the golden hills, a sure sign of things to come.  Rain!   Just as I was about  to set up my easel and painting supplies, the clouds opened up and poured onto our dedicated group of painters.  For those who were using oil paint, they were lucky.  But for a watercolor artist, it was very difficult to keep the paint on paper.  Talk about wet-on-wet!

By Noon, I had pretty much given up on painting because there was so much moisture in the air, even with the sun peaking out of the clouds from time to time.   I managed start one painting and do another sketch while sitting in the car waiting for the rain to stop.   This is why painting plein air can be such an adventure and how Mother Nature keeps reminding us that she is still in charge!





Last year's plein air paintings completed at  Arastradero Preserve.









No comments:

Post a Comment