Wednesday, April 13, 2016

South Florida Sunshine - A Plein Air Painter's Paradise

During the end of February and early March, I spent 13 days in South Florida with my daughter Sophia who was having surgery. I saw this trip as an opportunity to support and care for her while taking in some much-needed sunshine.  It was a welcome change for an Oregon plein air watercolorist who has endured more than 14 inches of rain since New Year's Day. 

Part of the time we stayed in Pompano Beach with accommodations on the Atlantic Ocean. It was a short walk to the Pompano Beach Fishing Pier and Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse. While my daughter was sleeping and healing, I took morning and afternoon walks on the beach and out to the pier. I also spent a lot of time sitting on the beach or on the balcony with sunhat, water bottles, travel journal, Pitt pens and two plein air palettes. It certainly passed the time between doctor appointments.  Here are a few of my favorite journal entries:



Black Skimmer about 3 feet away

Portuguese-Man-O' War on the beach
 
Walk to Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse

Wyndham Sea Gardens - Pompano Beach
My plein air set-up and lunch

Views of the Intercoastal Waterway from our balcony.


Beach Views  80 Degrees

   

Red Flag Warning - No Swimming
 
Pompano Beach Fishing Pier


Views from Wyndham Oceanside balcony

We changed buildings and resorts a few times (via our timeshare ownership in WorldMark). Our last two days were at Wyndham Palm-Aire near championship golf courses and lakes where I could observe some amazing reptiles and resort life.
 
Wyndham Palm-Aire view

After Bingo - Tiki Bar

South Florida is certainly an artist's paradise. Perfect sunny days and gentle breezes, just what I needed to jump start plein air painting in 2016.  Stay tuned!


-- Anna Jacke   March 30, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment